Software Engineer – Front-End
BigDoor is seeking a Software Engineer with a focus on the front end.
- Do you love shipping exceptional software?
- Are your daydreams full of incredible coding projects that you want to build?
- Are you looking to bring your wizard-level coding skills to a startup?
- Do you have an exceptional eye for great UX?
If yes, we want to meet you! We are expanding our engineering team with a Software Engineer with a focus on front end development for the web browser. The BigDoor team is growing quickly, and you’ll join our Seattle engineers as they journey into new, cutting-edge projects. We work with big brands including Starbucks, PacSun, Yamaha, Microsoft, and CBS, and are looking to expand our list of all-star customers with your help.
In this role, you will:
- Design, develop, test, and deploy beautiful, engaging code. Your projects will include implementing responsive design, cross-browser functionality, and device-compatible web components.
- Play a key role in the design, architecture, and implementation of new products. You know that idea you’ve been dreaming of? Here’s your chance to build it.
- Provide mentorship and guidance for less experienced developers. You’ll act as a mentor as we grow our team, and help less experienced developers with their projects as needed.
- Develop in a full-stack capacity. You’ll write code for dev-prod, dev-ops, and dev-test. Knowing your way around the back end will be hugely advantageous.
- Play a key role in ensuring high availability and uptime. Along with the rest of the team, you’ll have a shared responsibility for monitoring, alerting, and responding to issues.
- Ensure current BigDoor engineering standards are upheld. You’ll lead the charge in creating and maintaining the highest standard of awesome on the engineering front.
What you should bring to the table:
- You’re experienced. You’ve been working as a web developer for 5-7 years. You’ve built high-quality web components, and have leveraged modern markup libraries and tools (e.g. JQuery, Knockout, etc.) This ain’t your first rodeo, and you’re able to speak to your experience through your Github/BitBucket code examples.
- Experience with DOM manipulation. You can manipulate the layout and content in a page like it’s nobody’s business; inserting non-native widgets is child’s play.
- Strong testing skills. You’re fanatically test-driven. Through experience, you’ve learned that unit tests and test automation are required to ensure high quality and to enable quick, high-confidence changes. There’s no way you’d let your code get deployed without making sure it was properly UAT tested on all supported browsers and devices.
- You’re familiar with our tools. You’re well-versed in Vim, SVN, and Git, and can write shell scripts and Python scripts like nobody’s business.
- You’re lean. You understand and have a passion for “lean startup” methodologies.
- You’re team-oriented. Desire to work in a collaborative, team-based, transparent, highly communicative environment where questions and curiosity are highly valued runs in your blood. Your disposition has been referred to as “sunny” in the past.
- Strong communication and documentation skills. You’re a natural at reporting progress on a regular basis, with concision and clarity.
- You’re smarter than the average bear. A four year degree (or a good reason for not having one).
Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Gaming or game development.
- Full stack development. Back-end, front-end, you’ve done it all and can speak to your work.
- Vim. It’s our editor of choice.
- Development in AWS or equivalent cloud provider environment.
- RDBMS, SQL scripting, schema design, optimization, and troubleshooting experience with MySQL or similar.
What you should know:
We value your time. To that point, we issue Sennheiser head phones on day 1 and if you want to work in the zone, put these on and you won’t be bothered.
Our development stack is:
- Super-Smart Geeks
A little bit about BigDoor:
BigDoor is a white label software platform that helps brands increase customer engagement, reward users, and build loyalty. Founded in 2009, BigDoor powers loyalty programs for the world’s biggest brands, and is backed by Foundry Group and Founder’s Co-op. BigDoor may be revolutionizing how brands and consumers engage online, but we’re just a bunch of passionate, entrepreneurial people enjoying the ride.
Our office is located in the TechStars building in South Lake Union, so between trips to the food trucks and dodging Amazon badges, you’ll be surrounded by tech-savvy, entrepreneurial minds. Our culture is grounded in transparency, trust, and creativity. We focus on paving the way for brand loyalty, and empowering our team to dream big about what’s next. We love what we are building, and want to share it with the world.
To apply for this position:
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No agencies please.